About Me

My photo
A travel n gadget freak and @ the same time I try and make some Sense in the #Sensex

Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Indian-American makes it to top 13 on American Idol

Houston: An Indian-American is making waves in the US media after earning a coveted surprising spot on popular reality show American Idol.

22-year-old Anoop Desai, fondly nicknamed "Anoop 'Brown' Dogg" is the second youngest Indian-origin singing sensation on the show after Sanjaya Malakar, a recent finalist.

The college student was recalled as a wild card for the last round, after which the 12 finalists were to be announced. But he was convinced that he hadn't made the cut after his name didn't come up in the final twelve announcement.

Anoop, the soulful and R&B singer snagged a spot in the finals during a special wild card episode which saw eight finalists vying for the last three spots in the top 12. Only this time it was not 12 but 13.

"Obviously I'm glad that they expanded it. You're gonna get what you pay for in a sense with this show because everyone in the Top 13 is really talented. It's going to be a boon for the show to showcase that wide variety of talent," Anoop said on Friday.

"I don't want to typecast myself. I want to think of myself as a singer and an artist. I'm not going to limit myself to those types of songs. It's really going to depend on the theme," he added.

For being popular with the judges, he said "I haven't tried to get in their good graces I've just been fortunate enough for it to happen. I've been myself and I'm just going to continue that."

Anoop, whose father is originally from India, is pursuing an undergraduate degree from the University of North Carolina in political science and American studies.

He picked Bobby Brown's My Prerogative to woo the judges and his fans. "That song in particular has become sort of like an anthem for me throughout, since Hollywood Week," he said.

"I thought it was especially appropriate for the Wild Card Round. I mean, it's my prerogative. I was really happy to do that song with an audience. The wild card performance is all about showing the judges. It's a last ditch effort pretty much. So obviously I wanted to show them the side they liked before," he added.

Anoop's dream guest mentor on the show would be Stevie Wonder."If Stevie Wonder came back, I would faint, because I think he's the greatest musical mind that I've ever heard.That would be the ultimate," he added.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment